Patty Smith Hall

Friday, February 27, 2009

Anyone else out there afraid of technology?

I know, I know--in this day of getting your email off your cell phone, who ever heard of a person scared to death of a device you can hold in the palm of your hand? And computers? I was afraid if I touched the wrong key, the screen would tell me to move as far away from the keyboard as physcially possible. But I got over that--another thing to thank Princess Diana for--and have actually learned how to navigate the internet. But I did something a few weeks ago that has convinced me that maybe I'm over my fear.

I got a blackberry.

I've had a cell phone for years--but then my girls started text messaging me and I took me twenty minutes to type out 'yes' or 'no.' And forget about getting emails--I would have freaked. But between my work and my work(yes, you read that right!) it made sense for me to get a phone that would allow me to text the girls, email work and ring my mom for our bi-weekly phone call.

I hate it. That thing is always buzzing or beeping, and by the time I punch in the password, I'm ready to throw it across the room. With that little phone that's the size of a 4 x 6 card, I 've realized that life is moving too fast, things have become too impersonal. I happen to like the feel of paper beneath my fingertips, the scratch of a pen, holding a phone in my hand, the cord tethered to the wall so that I will slow down for just one moment and give my full attention to the person on the other end of the line. I'm just old-fashoined that way.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home